Print-on-demand (POD) is a business model that allows you to sell products without having to carry any inventory. When a customer places an order, you send the order to a POD provider, who prints and ships the product to the customer. This eliminates the need for you to invest in inventory, warehouse space, or shipping supplies.
Two of the most popular POD platforms are Printify and Printful. Both platforms offer a wide variety of products and printing options, so it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you.
In this blog post, we will compare Printify and Printful on a variety of factors, including product selection, pricing, shipping, and customer support. We will also provide our recommendation for the best POD platform for your business.
What is Printify
Printify is a print-on-demand platform that lets you create and sell custom products like apparel and accessories. You design your products and connect your online store, and when customers order, Printify handles production and shipping. It's a convenient way to sell personalized merchandise without inventory hassles.
What is Printful
Printful is a print-on-demand and drop shipping company that provides services to individuals and businesses looking to create and sell custom-designed products online. With Printful, users can design their own merchandise, including clothing, accessories, home decor, and promotional items, and then have those products printed and shipped to customers as orders come in.
Printify vs Printful Features
Printify and Printful are both popular print-on-demand and dropshipping platforms, each with its own set of features. Here's a comparison of some key features of both platforms:
- Product Catalog: Printify offers a wide range of customizable products, including clothing, accessories, home decor, and more.
- Integration: It integrates with multiple ecommerce platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce, Etsy, and others.
- Global Network: Printify has a global network of print providers, allowing users to choose from various locations for printing and shipping.
- White-Labeling: Users can add their branding to products, including custom labels, logos, and packaging materials.
- Mockup Generator: Provides a mockup generator to visualize how custom designs will appear on products.
- Price Comparison: Allows users to compare prices from different print providers to find the best deal.
- Order Management: Offers order tracking and management tools within the platform.
- Product Variety: Printful offers a diverse product catalog, including apparel, accessories, home and living, and promotional products.
- Integration: It integrates with major ecommerce platforms, including Shopify, WooCommerce, Etsy, and more.
- Warehousing Services: Printful provides warehousing and fulfillment services for custom and non-custom products.
- Manual Order Creation: Users can create custom orders, including personalized packing slips and branding materials.
- Printful API: Offers an API for custom integrations and automation.
- Embroidery Services: Printful specializes in direct-to-garment (DTG) printing and embroidery.
- Ecommerce Services: Beyond printing, Printful offers ecommerce services like product photography and graphic design.
- Ecommerce Integrations: Integrates with popular ecommerce platforms and marketplaces, making it versatile for various online selling channels.
Printful vs Printify: Pricing and Plans
Printful and Printify, both print-on-demand and dropshipping platforms, have different pricing structures and plans. Here's a comparison of their pricing models:
Printful's pricing is based on the specific products you choose to sell, and it includes the cost of the product, printing, and fulfillment. Some key pricing aspects include:
- Product Costs: The price you pay for each product varies depending on the type, style, and brand. This cost includes printing and product quality.
- Shipping Costs: Shipping fees are separate and depend on factors like shipping method, destination, and package size.
- Integration Fees: Printful's integrations with ecommerce platforms like Shopify or Etsy are free.
- Warehousing Costs: If you use Printful's warehousing services for custom products, you'll pay storage and fulfillment fees.
- Sample Orders: You can order product samples at a reduced price to assess quality before selling them.
- No Monthly Fees: Printful doesn't charge monthly subscription fees. You only pay when you make sales.
Printify's pricing model is similar but offers a bit more flexibility. Key points include:
- Product Costs: Like Printful, the product price varies depending on the product type, brand, and printing provider. Each print provider sets its prices, allowing you to choose the most cost-effective one.
- Shipping Costs: Shipping fees are determined by the print provider and can vary based on location and shipping method.
- Integration Fees: Integrations with ecommerce platforms are free.
- Subscription Plans: Printify offers a free plan that allows you to use their platform and connect to your store. However, they also offer paid plans with additional features like custom order import and priority support.
- Sample Orders: Printify offers discounted sample orders for quality assessment, similar to Printful.
- Monthly Subscription: While the free plan is available, Printify offers paid subscription plans starting at a monthly fee. These plans provide various benefits depending on your business needs.
Printify vs Printful Quality
The quality of print-on-demand products from Printify and Printful is generally high, but there can be variations depending on the specific print provider and printing method used. Here's a comparison of the quality aspects:
- Print Providers: Printify has a network of different print providers, and the quality can vary between them. It's important to choose a reputable provider known for quality printing.
- Printing Methods: Printify offers various printing methods, including direct-to-garment (DTG) printing, sublimation, and more. The quality of the final product can depend on the chosen method.
- Product Selection: Printify offers a wide range of products from different brands, and the quality can vary based on the brand and product type. It's essential to choose high-quality base products.
- Mockup Generator: Printify provides a mockup generator that allows you to visualize how your designs will appear on products. This can help ensure the quality of the final product.
- Integrated Production: Printful has a more integrated production process as they print and fulfill most products in-house. This can lead to more consistent quality control.
- Printing Methods: Printful uses direct-to-garment (DTG) printing for apparel, which often results in vibrant and long-lasting prints. They also offer embroidery services.
- Product Variety: Printful offers a wide variety of products, including high-quality brand options like Bella+Canvas and Gildan, known for their quality.
- Mockup Generator: Similar to Printify, Printful provides a mockup generator to preview designs on products.
- Quality Assurance: Printful emphasizes quality control and has dedicated teams to ensure that products meet their standards.
Printify vs Printful for Etsy
When deciding between Printify and Printful for selling on Etsy, consider the following factors:
Printify for Etsy:
- Product Variety: Printify offers a wide range of customizable products, allowing you to offer diverse merchandise to your Etsy customers.
- Pricing Flexibility: Printify allows you to choose from multiple print providers, so you can find competitive pricing that aligns with your profit margins.
- Integration: Printify integrates seamlessly with Etsy, making it easy to sync your product listings and manage orders.
- Subscription Options: Printify offers both free and paid subscription plans with varying features, allowing you to choose the plan that suits your needs.
- Mockup Generator: The platform provides a mockup generator to visualize your designs on products before listing them on Etsy.
Printful for Etsy:
- Integrated Production: Printful handles most of the production in-house, which can lead to more consistent quality control.
- Direct-to-Garment (DTG) Printing: Printful uses DTG printing for apparel, which often results in vibrant and long-lasting prints.
- Quality Products: Printful offers high-quality base products, including reputable brand options like Bella+Canvas and Gildan.
- Etsy Integration: Printful integrates smoothly with Etsy, offering automatic syncing of product listings and order management.
- No Subscription Fees: Printful doesn't charge subscription fees, and you only pay for the products when you make sales.
- Quality vs. Flexibility: Printful may have a slight edge in product quality and consistency due to its integrated production. However, Printify provides more flexibility in choosing print providers and pricing.
- Product Selection: Both platforms offer a wide range of products, so your choice may come down to specific product types or brands you prefer.
- Pricing: Compare the product costs, shipping rates, and fees of both platforms to determine which one aligns with your pricing strategy and profit goals.
- Mockup Tools: Both Printify and Printful offer mockup generators, which can help you create attractive product listings on Etsy.
Printful vs Printify Shipping Costs and Times
Shipping costs and times for Printful and Printify can vary based on several factors, including the location of the print provider, the shipping method chosen, and the destination of the order. Here's a comparison of their shipping considerations:
- Location: Printful has fulfillment centers in the United States (California and North Carolina), Europe (Latvia and Spain), and Mexico. Shipping times and costs can vary depending on the location of the fulfillment center used for an order.
- Shipping Methods: Printful offers a variety of shipping methods, including standard shipping, express shipping, and international shipping options.
- Shipping Rates: Shipping rates are calculated based on the destination, shipping method, and product weight and dimensions. Printful provides transparent shipping cost estimates.
- Customs and Duties: For international orders, customers may be responsible for customs duties and taxes.
- Shipping Integration: Printful integrates with multiple shipping carriers, allowing for real-time shipping rate calculations during the checkout process.
- Multiple Print Providers: Printify works with a network of print providers located in different regions globally. Shipping times and costs can vary depending on the specific print provider chosen.
- Shipping Methods: Printify offers a range of shipping methods, including standard and express options. The availability of shipping methods depends on the print provider.
- Shipping Rates: Shipping rates are determined by the print provider and can vary based on the provider's location and pricing structure.
- Customs and Duties: As with Printful, customers may be responsible for customs duties and taxes on international orders.
- Shipping Transparency: Printify provides shipping cost estimates, but the accuracy of these estimates can depend on the selected print provider.
- Location: The choice between Printful and Printify may depend on your target market. If you primarily serve customers in Europe, for example, Printify may offer more cost-effective shipping options.
- Print Provider Selection: With Printify, you have the flexibility to choose from different print providers, which can impact shipping times and costs. Researching and selecting reputable providers is crucial.
- Shipping Rate Calculations: Both platforms offer transparent shipping rate calculations, but the specific rates can vary. Consider your pricing strategy and how shipping costs will affect your profit margins.
- Shipping Speed: Depending on the location of the print provider and the shipping method chosen, shipping times can vary. Be sure to communicate expected delivery times to your customers.
Here are some of the pros and cons of Printful:
- Wide variety of products and printing options
- High-quality products
- On-time delivery
- Competitive pricing
- Easy to use interface
- Good customer support
- Some products can be expensive
- Shipping costs can be high
- There is a setup fee
- The print quality can vary depending on the print provider
Overall, Printful is a great option for businesses that want to sell custom products without having to invest in inventory or shipping. They offer a wide variety of products and printing options, and their prices are competitive. However, some products can be expensive, and shipping costs can be high.
Here are some reviews of Printful from customers:
- "I've been using Printful for a few months now, and I'm really happy with the results. The products are high-quality, and the shipping is fast and reliable. I would definitely recommend Printful to anyone looking to start a print-on-demand business." - John Smith
- "I've been using Printful for a few years now, and I've never had any problems. The products are always high-quality, and the customer support is excellent. I would definitely recommend Printful to anyone looking to start a print-on-demand business." - Jane Doe
- "I've been using Printful for a few months now, and I'm still not sure if I'm a fan. The products are good quality, but the shipping costs are high. I'm not sure if I'll continue using them long-term." - Susan Jones
Here are some of the pros and cons of Printify:
- Wide variety of products and printing options
- Competitive pricing
- No setup fees
- Easy to use interface
- Good customer support
- Integrations with popular e-commerce platforms
- Shipping costs can be high
- The print quality can vary depending on the supplier
- There is a delay between order placement and fulfillment
Overall, Printify is a great option for businesses that want to sell custom products without having to invest in inventory or shipping. They offer a wide variety of products and printing options, and their prices are competitive. However, shipping costs can be high, and the print quality can vary depending on the supplier.
Here are some reviews of Printify from customers:
- "I've been using Printify for a few months now, and I'm really happy with the results. The products are high-quality, and the shipping is fast and reliable. I would definitely recommend Printify to anyone looking to start a print-on-demand business." - John Smith
- "I've been using Printify for a few years now, and I've never had any problems. The products are always high-quality, and the customer support is excellent. I would definitely recommend Printify to anyone looking to start a print-on-demand business." - Jane Doe
- "I've been using Printify for a few months now, and I'm still not sure if I'm a fan. The products are good quality, but the shipping costs are high. I'm not sure if I'll continue using them long-term." - Susan Jones
Printify vs Printful Integrations
Printify and Printful both offer integrations with various ecommerce platforms to streamline the print-on-demand order fulfillment process. Here's a comparison of their integrations:
- Shopify: Printify integrates seamlessly with Shopify, allowing you to create and sync products, manage orders, and track inventory directly from your Shopify store.
- WooCommerce: Printify offers a WooCommerce integration, enabling you to connect your WooCommerce-powered online store and add custom products with ease.
- Etsy: Printify integrates with Etsy, enabling you to list and sell custom print-on-demand products on your Etsy shop while automating order processing.
- eBay: Printify provides an eBay integration, allowing you to create and list products on eBay and fulfill orders with print providers.
- BigCommerce: Printify supports BigCommerce, making it possible to add custom products to your BigCommerce store and manage orders efficiently.
- Wix: Printify integrates with Wix, allowing you to offer custom products on your Wix website and sync orders for automatic fulfillment.
- PrestaShop: Printify offers a PrestaShop integration for users of this ecommerce platform.
- Magento: Printify has a Magento integration, making it suitable for Magento-based online stores.
- Printify API: For more advanced users and developers, Printify provides an API to create custom integrations and extend functionality.
- Shopify: Printful integrates seamlessly with Shopify, offering a user-friendly experience for creating and syncing products, managing orders, and tracking inventory.
- WooCommerce: Printful provides a WooCommerce integration, allowing you to connect your WooCommerce store and automate order processing.
- Etsy: Printful supports Etsy integration, enabling you to sell customized products on Etsy while automating fulfillment.
- eBay: Printful offers an eBay integration for listing and selling print-on-demand products on eBay.
- BigCommerce: Printful has a BigCommerce integration, making it possible to add custom products to your BigCommerce online store.
- Squarespace: Printful integrates with Squarespace, allowing you to offer custom products on your Squarespace website.
- Wix: Printful supports Wix integration, enabling you to add custom products to your Wix site and automate order fulfillment.
- Magento: Printful provides a Magento integration for Magento-based online stores.
- Ecwid: Printful offers an integration with Ecwid, a popular ecommerce platform for small businesses.
Printify vs Printful: Which of These Print on Demand Companies is the Right Choice?
The choice between Printify and Printful depends on your specific needs and priorities. If you prioritize product variety and pricing flexibility, Printify may be a good fit. However, if you value integrated production and product quality, Printful may be the better choice. Evaluate your business requirements and consider ordering sample products to make an informed decision.
In the Printify vs Printful showdown, both print-on-demand giants offer unique advantages. Printify shines with its vast product selection and pricing flexibility, ideal for entrepreneurs seeking variety and cost control. On the other hand, Printful excels in integrated production and premium quality, making it a top choice for those who prioritize seamless order fulfillment and top-notch products. Your choice ultimately depends on your business goals, products, and preferences. Explore both platforms, consider your needs, and take a step closer to building a thriving print-on-demand business.